Easy Updo Hairstyles for Shoulder Length or Longer Hair!
Easy updo hairstyles are great for just about any time of the year! They are sleek and elegant and make you look and feel chic! If you’ve got shoulder length or longer hair, updo’s are a great way to style your hair and lift hair off your neck and back!
Everyone gets bored wearing their hair the same way everyday. Changing things up gives you the variety you desire and require! As they say, variety is the spice of life!
This is Nicole Richie sporting an easy french braid updo, to the side and tied in a knot. Its kinda messy but it also looks great!
It's also relatively easy to do if you can french braid your hair by yourself. If your hair won't tie in a knot without coming loose (like my hair), you'll either need to use gel/mousse and hairspray (and maybe a couple of bobby pins) to keep it secure.
(Of course, a pair of extra hands never hurts!)
If you’ve got highlights or lowlights in your hair, they will enhance your updo hairstyles. With a few streaks running through your hair, your hair takes on a different look when it’s up! Men totally love women who carry a sense of style about them, and updo’s can set the stage!
If you’re in the service industry, you may even get better tips or commissions just by styling your hair differently. You never know! Anything is possible when you’ve got the right updo hairstyles!
These updo's are perfect for any time of the day or night. With a little imagination and a few basic tools, you'll have the updo style thats right for you!
Relaxed Easy French Twist
Start this hairstyle by spraying your hair with flexible hold hairspray. Allow to dry and brush thoroughly. Pull your hair back into a ponytail (just below your occipital bone) and start twisting your hair up. Twist your hair till it's tight, then secure it throughout with bobby pins. (turn hair ends under for a formal look, or leave them up for an informal look) You will need a freeze hairspray to keep this style in place after you've finished!
Decorate by weaving a chopstick or two down next to you scalp then up again into the twist. Do this several times to help keep the hair in place. You can also add a decorative hair clip if you like. There are no rules! Leave the ends flying for a messy look or tease it at the base of your hair ends to make them stand up! Spray with a firm hold hairspray and allow to dry. Voila! Tres Bien, Merci! From drab to fab in less than 5 minutes!
You can start updo’s with curly hair or straight hair and many start with a ponytail. Ponytails are usually situated on the crown or on or near the nape of your head. If you want an informal look and you’ve got curly hair, you may want to apply a hair straightener gel in your hair and blow it out, or use a flat iron on your hair. Do it slightly beforehand if you can! That will save you time when you’ve gotta roll out the door in a hurry!
If you’ve got fine or thin hair, you may want to add a volumizing mousse or gel and add hair accessories to help you create these easy updo styles. Its often best to curl your hair if you've got thin hair. Curling your hair adds volume.
More formal styles (like bridal, prom, graduation or ball room styles) usually start with straightened then loosely curled hair.
Easy Updo Hairstyles
What You’ll Need
Soft elastic hair band
Hair Accessories (clips, glitter, flowers etc. to dress up your style)
Choose these items as close to your natural hair color as you can find!
1. Starting with knot free, dry hair, apply a good styling mousse or gel to your hair. Use a paddle brush to smooth your hair behind your ears and around your crown.
*If your hair is fine hair or you have hair that tends to be flat, use a medium-sized curling iron to create more volume. Take small sections of your hair and create loose curls all over your head.
2. Gather your hair into a loose ponytail at the top of your crown. If you want a more informal look, allow some hair on either side of your face to fall down. That will give your face soft tendrils that cascade and help frame your face.
3. Clasp your ponytail with a good, soft elastic band. Choose a band that is near the shade of your hair to camouflage it.
4. Start with the strands on the outside of your ponytail and take small sections about 1/2 inch thick. Experiment to find the right size based on your hair’s texture.
5. Take your first section and pull it up towards the sky. Halfway between the base of the ponytail and the top of the length create a tiny loop and pin the hair loop at the base of the scalp. Use a hair pin to anchor the loop onto your scalp. The loop should leave a few inches of loose hair that is not pinned down. Take that hair and twist it once or twice. Form an open loop and pin it with a bobby pin.
6. Repeat all around the outer shape of the ponytail in a clockwise direction. Experiment making the loops the same size and thickness or alternating them.
7. After you have pinned down the outside perimeter you should still have part of the original ponytail sticking up. Continue to loop and pin to give your easy updo good dimension and shape.
8. Use a curling iron to add soft ringlets to the hair around your face if you like.
9. Spray your hair with a good styling spray to keep it in place. If you are going to wear hair jewelry always spray your hair BEFORE you add it. You won’t want sticky hair spray all over it.
More Easy Updo Hairstyles
Formal French Twist
1) Spray your hair with a good medium hold hairspray, allow to dry and brush your hair completely.
2) Pull your hair in a slightly loose ponytail at the nape of your head.
3) Twist your hair upwards until it stops twisting. Make sure all your hair is smooth and precisely in place or start over.
4) Tuck twisted loose ends under twist.
5) Secure ends and twist with invisible bobby pins.
6) Spray again with a firm holding hairspray to keep it neatly in place. Add hair accessories to decorate your hair.
Messy French Twist!
1) Gather your hair into a ponytail at the nape of your neck, then twist.
2) Run the twisted hair up the back of your head.
3) Secure the twist using a sideways bobby pin at the top of your head. Push another bobby pin in downwards on the twist to make it more secure.
4) Leave ends flying free style for more informal occasions.
Easy Updo Hairstyles Videos
Personal Favorite Quick Updo
Five More Updo Hairstyles
Side Bun Updo
Double Side Bun for Thick Hair
Messy Bun (My Video)
These suggestions can help you find the best updo hairstyles that are right for you and your lifestyle. With a bit of planning and a little practice, you can add versatility to keep your life out of the hum drum! You can also purchase a lot of great hair accessories for your updo hairstyles! They really accentuate your hair and look great!