Money Saving Ideas for The Holidays or Any Special Occasion
Check out these money saving ideas for the holidays, birthdays, or for any day you deem special. Right now, with the economy the way it is, we all need to save money, not spend it. How do you afford gifts though when your money is tight?
With the high price of gas, groceries, and other products we rely on daily, it’s hard to make ends meet. We are all being wedged into debt and more debt.
As bad as things might seem, presents are still a huge part of any special occasion. They need not cost an arm and a leg though. The time has come to really think outside the box and come up with original money saving ideas that will help you save money and make it a better holiday season or special occasion. Keep in mind that you don’t have to give presents that cost a lot.
The major economic factors that are affecting us right now are:
Shaky World Economy
Value of the American dollar falling to new lows
Housing market slump
Job market decline
Lack of faith in governments to meet the needs of their people
High price of gas
Its easy to understand why its so important to look for money saving ideas. You can find great deals when the world looks bleak and give unique presents that will really be a hit. Some of them may take a bit more time to do, but it’ll be worth the effort if you have more money to help pay your bills.
Money Saving Ideas
1) Picture This - Everyone loves to get pictures as presents! You can easily make your own if you have a digital camera and working knowledge of your picture software program. (Or you can grab free pictures of all kinds of scenic landscapes, powerful sunsets, or even pink flamingo's from the internet by doing Google searches!)
If you want a family portrait instead, with a little planning you can get the whole family together for this! First you’ll need to pick out what you will wear. If it’s for Christmas, everyone should plan to wear holiday attire. If someone doesn’t have any clothes that will work, a simple Santa hat from the dollar store will work well. Everyone should look nice though, so everyone should wear clothes that are a bit dressier than bluejeans and T shirts.
Take pictures at Home: Choose a room where you can move furniture easily. You’ll need the backdrop of a big wall draped with a white sheet if you want the picture to look more professional. If you don’t have a big wall to use, then choose a place inside or outside the house to take the picture. Something that looks nice is always more desirable. It’s a good idea to have a friend come over and take the pictures for you. Set a date and time. Everyone must attend! You won’t want to leave anyone out!
Have them take at least 30 pictures so you can choose which one(s) you like best. You can’t really see what you’ve got until you upload them onto the computer so take a bunch! Sort through the pictures once you’ve got them and choose the best one. Print out your pictures on some high quality imaging paper in the size you have selected. 5x7’s or 8x10’s work well. After you’ve printed them out, then let them dry thoroughly. Cut them out and then purchase some inexpensive picture frames from any dollar store or super store.
Take Pictures Away from Home: If you don’t have room in your house or yard to take a nice picture, pick a local park or other setting for the picture. A picture by the water is always neat, if you live near a beach, river, or stream.
If you don’t want to make the effort to take a family picture, then choose a different picture. There are so many pictures to choose from on the internet. Find personal favorites of the person you want to give a present and do a search for those things. Do they love cats, dogs, historical buildings, sports, or water related items? Find the picture you want, buy it for cheap, print it on some glossy or matte imaging paper, cut it, and frame it.
You’ll have so much fun with this money saving idea and it won’t take a lot of time or money. After all, a picture’s worth a thousand words! You can find thousands of great pictures for only a dollar here. Find Pictures Now
2) Don’t Eat It - Plan your dinners at home each night and try and bulk up on vegetable and carbohydrates and reduce your meat consumption. Meat can be terribly fattening, full of steroids, and very unhealthy for you. It also costs the most to buy. Think vegetables when you shop. These food money saving ideas will save you a ton of money and might even lose a few pounds in the process.
3) Net’s Figure it Out - Shopping on the internet not only saves you time, it saves you the effort and time of standing in long lines, and you'll save money on gas. There are so many good deals and money saving ideas online. A lot of them offer extra discounts for early buyers.
4) Lets Party! - Some of the best money saving ideas come right from your kitchen! Put together a nice dinner party or cocktail party for friends and loved ones over the holidays or for special occasions. Send out party invitations by snail mail or email to everyone you want to include. Let them know your party plans and be sure to give enough time for them to make arrangements to come. (Also let them know it's your present to them!)
You don’t always have to have your party before holidays or special occasions. Sometimes gifts that come after the special date are more appreciated because there is always so much chaos going on during special times. Offer a Hawaiin Luau or Backyard BBQ. Really make it special and you’re friends or loved ones won’t forget it or you!
5) Basket Fun - Making a collection of goodies to give in a basket are always so much fun to do. You can combine a wide variety of low cost presents in one unified place. People can always use baskets to contain or organize their stuff, so that makes baskets the gift that keeps on giving all year long. See how many money saving ideas you can think of to fill them up!
6) Bake N’ Shake - Another holiday or special event idea is to make cheese balls or make dips and combine them with Wheat Thins, Bruschetta, or Wafer Crackers. You can get some fantastic dip ideas for free on the back of cracker boxes. Just find recipe you like while you’re in the store shopping and take some extra time to jot it down. You can always look for recipes on the net! There is a recipe for a wonderful Parmesan cheese and artichoke dip on this page.
7) Go BOGO - Buy in bulk. Wherever and whenever you find good deals, look for ones that have ‘buy one get one’ or ‘buy one get one half off’. When you buy two or more of the same thing, you’ll usually save money. Look for BOGO deals. They're one of the best money saving ideas out there!
8) Think Boxes - If you really think outside the box, then use them. If you can only afford a small gift for someone, then find a couple of different sized boxes you can wrap them in. Wrap the little gift in a little box. Then put the little wrapped box inside the next sized box and wrap that one too. Keep going and use as many different sized boxes that you can. Its always a LOT of fun to open gifts that are a box in a box. The recipient of your gift won’t even care that the gift is small. Once they finally get to it, they’ll appreciate it more just because of the effort you took to make it fun for them. Boxes in boxes are great money saving ideas.
9) Think Old - Antique stores are having sales too! You can find some wonderful old jewelry, glassware, and other trinkets in the stores that you can’t find in super stores. If you’re looking for a unique gift, they are a true treasure trove full of individualized presents that are great money saving ideas.
10) Plan It - If you plan ahead to get all or most of your shopping done in one day, you’ll save a ton of money on gas and time. Take as few trips to shop as possible and get the most out of them while you’re there shopping. Money saving ideas and good deals are not hard to find right now, so be open to new ideas for presents while you’re shopping. Start out super early too, so you’ll have time to squeeze it all in.
11) Think BIG! - If you've ever clipped coupons, you know how valuable they can be, especially on double coupon days. Did you know however, that you'll get more coupons by simply buying bigger national papers, like the NY Times, instead of your local edition? The bigger the paper's circulation, the more value you'll get for your money. When you clip your coupons, skip over the products you don't buy. It's a waste of your valuable time clipping coupons you won't ever use. Simply clip out the ones you know you'll end up using and keep them in a small file box in your car. That way you'll never leave them at home by accident.
12) Think Bags! - On my son's last birthday, a good friend brought him a huge bag filled with lots of fun stuff. I thought, my goodness, there is so much stuff in this bag, it must have cost a fortune. There were things like glo sticks in all sorts of styles, coloring books, and crayons, toys, stickers, and some fun decorative stuff for his bedroom. My friend told me later, that she'd bought everything from the Dollar Store and only spent $20 on it. I was floored. (Find out how to save more money at the Dollar Store!
13) Crafty Huh? - Crafting gifts is a great idea to save money. There are so many crafts you can do that don't cost a lot. Making your own cards, crocheting blankets, make bird houses, make your own stuffed animals, and other ideas are plentiful on the net. Since I don't have a crafty bone in my body, it's hard to give specifics. My best suggestion is to do a Google search for crafting ideas. There are a million to choose from! Hopefully you can come up with some great ideas when you don't have a lot of money to spend!
Spending a little more time looking for the best bargains is well worth it. There are a ton of money saving ideas you can get if you just look for them. Our time is precious too, but so is thoughtfulness. With gifts that come from the heart, you can't go wrong!
How to Save Money in the Coming Year
Save Money on Groceries by Stockpiling
Best Bargains - Year Round Buying Guide
Save Money Going Green Today!
Go Green and Save Money on Gas!
Eco Friendly Tips to Save Money Now!
Subscribe to my free newsletter. Get interesting facts and money saving tips to help conserve and improve your beauty and your health.
Back to Top of Page
Healthy Money Saving Tips
More Healthy Ways to Save Money
From Money Saving Ideas to Homepage