Best Make Up Foundation for All
What is the best make up foundation for all skin types? A lot depends of course, on the amount of sebaceous oils your body produces and the general health of your skin! However, first and foremost foundations should not clog your pores.
They should actually help block bacteria from entering pores, but does such a foundation exist?
Don't all foundations seep into your pores to some extent? Why, yes they do! The good news is that any skin type will have better results using mineral makeup. Its the one type of makeup that's actually good for your skin, no matter what type of skin you have!
Benefits of Mineral Makeup
- Mineral makeup is made of natural minerals derived from the earth. (zinc oxide)
- Minerals are inorganic and resistant to water. This helps to block bacteria feeding moisture away from your pores.
- Mineral makeup is insoluble in water even if you put water directly on it. The minerals are not affected by water.
- Mineral makeup won’t clog pores. The granules have been pulverized, micronized, and sterilized. They much smaller than your pores because of the milling process. They almost become part of the actual skin. This not only prevents acne from forming but also helps it blend into the skin for a flawless look.
- Minerals help conceal problem areas very well. If you have a mild case of acne, or deviations in skin color, the finely milled minerals are very effective as disguising them.
- You can also control the amount of cover you want. The more you apply, the more coverage you get.
- Minerals are made from Zinc Oxide. Zinca is a great sunblock.
- Minerals conform to you! They blend with your body chemistry. If you apply them and they look a bit pasty at first, just wait about 10 minutes and look again. Their earthy components blend naturally with the heat and chemical make up of your body.
L'Oreal, Revlon, Cover Girl, and Maybelline went wild adding minerals to their lines of makeup. That means, there are many inexpensive minerals on the market that you can try.
Sheer Cover was one of the first manufacturers of minerals and is the old standard. I know it's the brand I tried first! Their makeup costs a little more up front, but lasts a long time as a little goes a long way. You get better coverage using less minerals. That means you actually save money!
Whatever brands you choose, ALWAYS clean your face thoroughly and properly moisturize your skin first. This simple step helps plump and nourish your skin. You should also allow moisturizers to absorb thoroughly into your skin; about 5-10 minutes. If you need more staying power from your makeup, now is the time to apply a makeup primer. Primers help hold your makeup in place, so your makeup lasts much longer than you do!
To apply any makeup, good lighting is a makeup-must-have! ALSO make sure to keep your hair tied back with a hair tie or a headband so you have a clear view!
How to Apply Mineral Makeup
1) Before you apply mineral makeup, apply a light dusting of translucent loose powder to your face. These will NOT add any color and will help the minerals glide on more evenly and smoothly by filling in large pores. Brush or powder puff the loose powder to your face, not forgetting a light dusting of the eyelids. If you apply too much, use a large makeup brush to brush off excesses.
Or, you can use a primer that acts in much the same way, but also includes more staying power. The choice is totally yours!
2) Now dip a medium size brush into the mineral. This is considered to be your base foundation color. Gently tap the brush so the extra minerals go back into the mineral powder container. A little goes a long way so build them up slowly and watch for results carefully.
Apply the base mineral to your entire face. You can brush it side to side where you need to and/or use small circular motions to apply it. Apply minerals as you would apply loose powders. Remember to apply a small amount to the eyelids and don't forget to blend it into the hairline and down the neck. If you have areas that aren't covered well, add a little more to them. If you have areas you're trying to hide, keep adding more until you get the coverage you need. The more minerals you apply, the better the coverage. Keep brushing them on until you get the desired coverage.
3) Apply a contrasting color as your blush. You can either use a contrasting mineral OR use a powder blush. Brush it onto your cheeks, tip of your nose, and center of your forehead. Use a larger brush to thoroughly blend the two colors.
4) You may or may not want to brush on more translucent powder as a finishing step. That's completely up to you! If you already look great, your done. If you need to add a finishing touch or blending, add a little more loose powder.
There are many name brands of minerals that you can buy. Each one seems to have it's own personality. You just have to choose the brands that work best for your skin type and your skin tone. Almay Mineral Makeup Powder and L'Oreal Bare Naturals are very affordable. Alison Raffaele Mineral Powder Foundation, Bare Escentual Minerals, and Urban Decay Surreal Skin Mineral Make-Up are more expensive but have more consistent positive reviews.
Because of these and other unique qualities, mineral makeup is known throughout the world as the best make up foundation. It is also recommended to acne sufferers by Dermatologists.
Ultimately it does not matter what skin type you have or if you are acne prone. Without moisture to feed bacteria, acne cannot form or worsen.
If you suffer from acne, mineral makeup might just be your best friend!
If you have a lot of superficial hair on your face, (tiny small hairs) and you're self conscious about them, simply apply minerals using downward sweeps with your makeup brush. Facial hairs naturally grow downward. Powder products can make these tiny hairs more apparent. Solve the problem by brushing downward.
Choosing the right make up foundation can be one of the hardest decisions you'll ever have to make. Minerals can make things a lot easier for you so check them out if you haven't already. They really are awesome for so many reasons!
Related Pages on This Site
Use Skin Bronzer to Create a Warm Facial Glow Anytime of Year
How to Avoid and Fix Makeup Mistakes
Determine Your Skin Tone to Choose the Best Makeup Colors
How to Correct Skin Tone – Steps for a Flawless Complexion!
Your Makeup Color Season
Translucent Loose Powder – A Makeup Artist’s Secret Weapon
Subscribe to my free newsletter. Get interesting facts and money saving tips to help conserve and improve your beauty and your health.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Use this handy tool to find it fast!
Back to Top of Page
Professional Advice – How to Apply Makeup Correctly~
Back to Homepage