After any bride officially announces her engagement, planning for the wedding day should include the looking for the right makeup to wear. If the "Big Day" is on its way, keep in mind that it is best to look like yourself, but emphasize special features of your face.
Bridal makeup is a simple concept: less is more. Just because everybody will be looking at you on your wedding day, doesn't mean you should overdo your makeup. You might conceal your natural beauty if you wear too much.
Just like you plan a dress rehearsal of the wedding, you should also do a dress rehearsal of your makeup. Get your friends and families input. Does your bridal makeup look naturally beautiful? Are you wearing the right shades of makeup? Is there anything you’ve left out?
All of these things are important when planning your wedding! Makeup should be practiced ahead of time to guarantee your wedding day look. Once you’ve got it down, it’ll be so much easier to apply on your wedding day!
Make sure your face is clean and moisturized and pull back your hair. On your Big Day, you'll want to apply most of your makeup earlier in the day so the rest of the day you can concentrate on your gown and your hair. Save makeup touch-ups for later in the day or right before the wedding.
Never apply makeup with your gown on though! Always apply it before you get dressed if possible. Be especially careful when you put your gown on too! Have someone there who can help you. You won’t want to get your bridal makeup on your gorgeous wedding gown!
If your gown has a higher neck line, you will probably need to apply your makeup 'in gown'. Otherwise, it may be impossible to get dressed without getting makeup on your gown. Opt to wear an apron when you apply your makeup, but BE CAREFUL! Mistakes can happen so fast on your Big Day!
Bridal Makeup Tips
Before you begin your bridal makeup application, make sure you've washed and toned your face. Apply lotion and a skin illuminator if you have one. You should also apply a makeup primer. Primer's will help keep your makeup in place. This is especially important for outdoor weddings in warm months. When the heat is on, it's best to make sure your makeup stays in place!
1) Foundation – The time to try new foundations is not the day you get married! Stick with old faithful’s! Don’t try new shades or brands of foundations on your special day. It could be disastrous if you do. You can also apply a thin layer of translucent loose powder before or after you apply foundation for flawless coverage. This depends a lot on which foundation makeup you choose.
The possibilities are endless! Choose from cream foundations, compact foundations, liquid foundations, sheer foundations, matte foundations, stick foundations, illuminating foundations, mineral foundations, or even tinted moisturizers!
2) Blush - Your choice of blush should be in soft and feminine colors. Choose colors that blend well with your skin tone, and don't stand out too much. Peach and soft pink always give a candlelit glow to the face, so try each color on you before deciding. Bold dramatic colors are not good choices for your bridal makeup!
2) Eye Shadow - Eye shadow should be a neutral tone for your special day but there really aren't any rules. If you're conservative, try a sheer or shimmery eyeshadow colors or opt for matte neutral tones like brown, soft gray, or beige. This is especially true if your gown is white or cream colored. Your eye shadow should blend well with your skin tone to look natural. Highlight brow bones with shimmering lighter colors, like cream or white.
If you've got a colorful personality, you might want to express yourself a bit more! Opt for bolder shades of blue, green, or purple eyeshadow. The choices are really limitless! Before your big day, play around with different bold colors and see what you can come up with! It's totally your decision!
If you didn't apply makeup primer but you're wearing eyeshadow, you may want to consider an eyeshadow primer.
3) False Lashes - If you are going to wear false eyelashes, now is the time to apply them. Hope you've been practicing! If you are unsure about application, learn how to apply false lashes!
3) Liner - Wear liquid liner along the top eyelids to help accentuate and frame your eyes. Wear black or brown pencil eyeliner to the inside rims of both eyes. White pencil eyeliners are so under-rated. Instead of black liquid on the top lid, you can light up your eyes if you opt for white liners. White liners can be purchased as liquids or pencils. You may opt for white shadow with black liquid liner too. Both are good eye popping methods and options.
You should also remember to line the rims of your eyes. If you line them in white, they help the white's of your eyes look even whiter. If you line rims in black, your eyes will look more alluring and sensual.
5) Mascara - Apply several coats of mascara, allowing it to dry in-between each coat. You can apply it to both top and bottom lashes or just to the top lashes. It’s totally your choice. Choose standard color choices like black or brown or go for a flair of color in shades of blue, green, purple! If you want something more subtle, add color mascara only to the tips of your lashes for a lash color splash! If you can't make up your mind on which color(s) to choose, try Covergirl Eyelights! Their mascara colors are designed to suit your eye color.
Make sure you choose waterproof mascara, especially for outdoor weddings in the summer! This is awesomely important! You may have tears of joy later, so plan for them!
If your lashes are sparse, start using Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara a few months before the wedding. Alternately, there are some great new mascara's on the market today that will rock your lashes to the next level! Try Maybelline Falsies Mascara (one of my favorites), Cover Girl Lash Blast Length, or Maybelline Lash Stiletto Voluptuous!
6) Finishing Touches - Now that you've applied your bridal makeup, you need to 'set it'. Brush a light layer of translucent loose powder over your face. Brush off with a large makeup brush. Check for little imperfections in your bridal makeup and correct them. Don't sweat the small stuff though. Nobody's perfect so try and relax and get excited! You're getting married after all!
If you need help with any of these steps, please refer to the how to apply makeup page. This page has detailed information and links for each makeup category of makeup application.
Other things to consider besides bridal makeup, is your diet plan and lifestyle before the wedding. Your choices will reflect in the health of your skin, nails, and hair. Eating fatty foods or foods high in cholesterol before your Big Day, will slow down your metabolism and build toxins in your body. These impurities will show up in your skin and affect your appearance!
Eating healthy foods will help save your skin and not take away from your beautiful bridal look!
Although hair care may continue as an ordinary activity, it may require particular attention in accordance to the different wedding hairstyles that you select in advance of your bridal gown. It is highly advisable to make your final hair selection based on your wedding dress, but try several different bridal hairstyles or updo's before choosing the one that's right for you. When you find it, you'll just 'know'.
Related Pages on This Site
Didn't find what you were looking for? Use this handy tool to find it fast!
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.