Applying Makeup in Ten Minutes or Less
You have ten minutes to get ready. That’s not long for applying makeup but its certainly worth a try, right?
You could get it done in five, but ten minutes is really the least amount of time you need for your makeup application.
You want to be sure your makeup looks good, right? You’ve got a very busy life, but coordination and complimentary do count!
If you’ve only got a few minutes, you can’t afford be a perfectionist either. The trick is to know your colors in advance. What colors of makeup
looks best on you and build confidence? Which detract from your natural beauty? All of these are very important and should be answered before you start any quicker than lightening
If you constantly find yourself rushing out the door, prepare a special makeup bag made up in advance. It should contain everything you need for a quick makeup routine. That way, you’ve only got to set things out and start applying makeup, quickly but professionally!
When you're applying makeup, you can always speed up the process by having everything ready. Choose colors that compliment your facial tones and look good with your complexion.
Any good makeup routine starts with clean skin. Your skin should be thoroughly cleaned, toned, and moisturized before you start. Get in the habit of doing this every time you get ready to go somewhere. Your makeup and your skin will thank you! Daytime makeup should be fresh, polished, and natural.
You've got about one minute for each step below. Take longer than that and you're going to be running late!
Tips for a Ten Minute Makeup Routine
Step One - Concealer
- A quality concealer is subtle so invest in a good one. Use tones that blend well with your natural tones. Warm concealer’s up on the back of your hands momentarily. Apply with a sponge or fingertips. Smudge your concealer downward and outward with your sponge or fingertips. (Fingertips have natural oils on them that help you blend concealers!)
Step Two - Loose Powder
- For a flawless look, use loose powder first if you use mineral foundations and last if you use liquid, cream, sheer, stick, or even compact foundations. You should consider using translucent loose powders
, as these blend with any color foundation. A layer of loose powder underneath minerals helps them go on more smoothly! A layer on top of creams, liquids, sheer, or stick foundation helps give a more finished look and blends any imperfections in application. The function of any powder is to give a matte, shine-free finish. If you prefer a moist, dewey look, then don’t use powders at all.
One of the best brands to use is Cover Girl Translucent Powder. You can never go wrong with this powder!
If you want your skin to glow, try a luminous loose powder instead!
Step Three - Foundation
- Your goal should be to use a tone that looks totally natural, like a second skin. Sweep foundations over any areas that you've applied concealer's first and any discolorations. This blends them into your natural tone. Apply foundation
downwards and outwards to create a more natural finish. Be sure to cover your neck below your chin to avoid a line on your jaw. Use a makeup brush for minerals and use a sponge triangle for creams or liquids. Remember time is of essence when your applying makeup in a hurry, so don't spend too long on this step!
If you have really clear skin, try Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer or Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation!
Step Four - Shadow
- Choose blends of natural shadow colors that blend well with your skin tone. If you make mistakes, you don’t want them to be noticeable. Use two tones only. Lighter eyeshadow colors
should be applied to the entire lids and the darker color should go into the crease of the eyes. Use an eyeshadow brush or sponge for easy application.
If you want some great colors to carry with you, try Bare Minerals Eye Looks on the Go!! The set is dirt cheap to buy and compact enough for any gal in a hurry to tote around!
Step Five - Eyeliner
- Most women choose to wear black liner because it looks good with all eye colors. Apply pencil eyeliners to the inside rim of the eyes to help define your eyes. Also add a line of a light colored eyeliner to your top lids, along the lash line. Highlighting colors perk up your face and brighten your eyes. Alternately, you could also apply bright liners to the inside rim of the eyes, which help wake up your eyes. Try a bright blue or yellow if your skin tone allows it. Both of these variations in technique, light up your face and look natural.
Step Six - Eyelashes
- Brush and curl lashes to help elongate lashes. Apply one coat of mascara
to top lashes only. Allow to dry for at least 30 seconds.
For more pizazz, try Cover Girl Lash Blast Length. The smaller brush does a fantastic job at separating and extending lashes.
Step Seven - Eyebrows
- Brush brows upward and then brush them towards the outside of the eyes. Fill in any sections where you might see skin showing through using fine, quick, upward strokes. Blend with fingertips or your eyebrow brush.
Step Eight - Blush
- Apply natural tones of blush
. Use lighter colors for the easiest application. Since you're in a rush, use blush shades that blend well with your skin tone
. Always smile when you’re applying blush makeup. When you smile, your cheekbones pop up. Blush should be lightly stroked on cheekbones, tip of nose, and in the center of your forehead and chin.
Step Nine - Lipsticks
- Choose a lip liner that compliments your lipstick. Quickly fill in any flaws in your natural lip lines. Apply lipsticks
right out of the tube. Convenience is the name of the game with the clock is ticking! Apply lipstick to the entire lips, top and bottom.
Use a long lasting lipstick with a lip plumper on top, if you'll be gone all day!
Step Ten - Tada!
- Your finished applying makeup in less than ten minutes and ready to rock n roll out the door!
When you use a sponge, wet them first then wring them out. Makeup blends more easily when they are slightly damp.
When choosing foundations, you can opt to make your own colors. Use blends of two or more foundations to find your perfect tone.
For daytime wear, choose lipstick colors that look natural. Or opt for lipgloss instead. Glosses are just too great not to use regularly!
Buy eyeshadow sets instead of choosing individual colors. You'll get a lot more bang for your bucks!
The trick to applying makeup in a hurry is to be organized beforehand. There are a ton of makeup organizers available today so there's just no excuse not to be. Stock them with the makeup you use the most so you'll always be prepared for whatever life throws at you!
Related Pages on This Site
Longer Thicker Lashes – How to Maximize Volume and Length
Determine Your Skin Tone to Choose the Best Makeup Colors
Teen Make Up – Experiment to Express Your Style!
Holiday Make Up Ideas for Party Girls!
Prom Makeup for a Fairytale Night!
Long Lasting Makeup Tips
Sexy Make Up – Sizzling, Smutty, Sweltering!
Party Makeup Tips for Festive Occasions
Subscribe to my free newsletter. Get interesting facts and money saving tips to help conserve and improve your beauty and your health.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Use this handy tool to find it fast!
Back to Top of Page
Professional Advice - How to Apply Makeup Correctly
From Applying Makeup to Homepage